FACT: Losing just 3-5% of your weight has major health benefits and reduces chronic pain!
Healthcare experts agree that losing weight and managing a healthy body mass index (BMI) can be an excellent strategy to relieve partial or complete back pain. This occurs because – as the individual loses weight there is a decrease in the load/pressure on the spine. Weight loss can also help prevent joint strain (another potential cause of pain).
In addition, carrying excessive weight is a major risk factor – linked with conditions such as osteoarthritis and herniated discs. Eating the right nutrients can help by supporting your skeletal structure – preventing premature degeneration and inflammatory processes.
Changing/adapting your diet is paramount not only for its weight loss benefits but it also confers many other health-positive changes such as decreasing inflammation and changing the internal chemistry of your body– which are key contributors to skeletal, muscle and joint health.
5 quick tips to help get you started:
1) Replace 1 soda a day for water – this cuts out about 150 calories!
2) Swap our fruit juice for the real deal! Fruits contain fiber which help modulate sugar/insulin spikes!
3) Chewing your food properly helps you feel fuller longer, aids digestion and provides more nutrition.
4) Start your day with a glass of water and squeezed lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar – studies show that this helps kick-start your metabolism and helps to detoxify your liver, kidneys and digestive tract.
5) Prep-ahead for healthy grab and go snacks – this helps reduce snacking on the wrong types of foods – if only because it’s convenient and they’re available.
Ask your naturopathic doctor for more information and about how you can create an individualized weight management plan that specifically fits your lifestyle.
click here to book your 15 minute free fire-side chat with Dr. Michael Michna, ND.